Conduct Manual Tasks Safely
This course describes the skills and knowledge required to recognise potentially hazardous manual handling tasks, and then to prepare for and complete those tasks in a safe manner.
This course applies to all workers involved in manual handling tasks.
- 4 hours face-to-face
- 2 hours face-to-face with the completion of an online pre-course workbook
Successful participants will receive a Statement of Attainment for the following units of competency:
- HLTWHS005 – Conduct Manual Tasks Safely
There are no re-certification requirements with this course.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Identify manual tasks involving risk:
- Recognise manual tasks that may involve risk to self or others
- Identify risk factors that make the manual task hazardous
- Determine the nature and extent of the risk
- Follow organisation procedures for controlling hazardous manual tasks
- Prepare for manual tasks:
- Prepare workplace layout and environment according to organisation procedures
- Organise task and workflow appropriately
- Prepare and package loads for movement, taking account of specific requirements for different materials and organisation procedures
- Select and use personal protective equipment appropriate to the task
- Ensure task is within personal capabilities
- Complete manual tasks
- Use appropriate posture and handling techniques to reduce muscle load on exertion
- Select, adjust and use mechanical aids and handling devices according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Pace and schedule tasks according to procedures
- Contribute to safe work practices
- Identify hazardous manual tasks and report to supervisor according to organisation procedures
- Follow organisation procedures for reporting symptoms of injury or actual injury to self and others
- Participate in workplace safety activities and contribute to the improvement of manual tasks
- Contribute to risk management approach to reduce risks from manual tasks
Is a USI (Unique Student Identifier) Required?
Yes, a USI must be obtained in order to receive a Statement of Attainment as this is a nationally recognised unit of competency.
$90 per person.