Provide First Aid
This course describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a emergency response to a casualty. The course applies to all anyone who may be required to provide a emergency response in a range of situations including community and workplace settings.
- 16 hours face to face
- 8 hours face to face with the completion of pre-course eLearning.
Successful participants will receive a Statement of Attainment for the following units of competency:
- HLTAID003 – Provide First Aid
- HLTAID001 – Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
It is recommended by the ARC that the first aid components of this course are refreshed every three years while the CPR components are refreshed on an annual basis.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Respond to an emergency situation:
- Recognise an emergency situation
- Identify, assess and manage immediate hazards to health and safety of self and others
- Assess the casualty and recognise the need for first aid response
- Assess the situation and seek assistance from emergency response services
- Apply appropriate first aid procedures:
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in accordance with Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines
- Provide first aid in accordance with established first aid principles
- Display respectful behaviour towards casualty
- Obtain consent from casualty where possible
- Use available resources and equipment to make the casualty as comfortable as possible
- Operate first aid equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Monitor the casualty’s condition and respond in accordance with first aid principles.
- Communicate details of the incident:
- Accurately convey incident details to emergency response services
- Report details of incident to workplace supervisor as appropriate
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies.
- Evaluate the incident and own performance:
- Recognise the possible psychological impacts on self and other rescuers involved in critical incidents
- Participate in debriefing to address individual needs.
Is a USI (Unique Student Identifier) Required?
Yes, a USI must be obtained in order to receive a Statement of Attainment as this is a nationally recognised unit of competency.
$150.00 per person.